Tuesday, February 1, 2011

one word: pho

I thought I'd start my first post with something I am so in love with... and that's pho. This big bowl of yumminess is something I just can't live without. It's food crack... or maybe it's the MSG... or maybe it's just so damn good! I have it at least once a week... I never go more than 3 weeks without it.

I was 18 yrs old when I had pho for the first time. It looked like a fancy, gourmet version of all those Top Ramen meals I've had as an after school snack. I thought it was going to be awesome, yet it was not. I hated it. The broth was too sweet and it had a curry-like flavor to it. Don't get me wrong, I like sweet and I like curry... just not together. Fast forward 9 yrs later, I was going through beauty school and I happened to be sick with the flu. My classmate said I should go just behind the school to the pho place to have some. I'm thinking, "ehh..." Figuring that my stuffy nose would probably help with not having to taste the sweet, curry flavor. I ordered it, sipped the broth and fell in love. But wait, it wasn't sweet and curry-like! Little did I know that all Vietnamese places make their broth different. I couldn't wait to be well again so I could breathe in the aroma and really taste it! For the rest of my beauty school year, that's all I had for lunch... probably 2-3 times a week. Yes, I was bloated and no, I didn't care. It was yum yum in my tum tum!

I've tried numerous pho places in the greater Seattle area but there is only one that keeps me coming back, and that's Pho Asia Noodle House just on the corner of Everett Mall Way and 7th. Their pho is consistent and sooo delicious. There are a number of pho places that make the broth in the way I don't like and they're quite popular. Just not for me, I guess. I see the pho broth as a blank canvas. I like to choose whether or not to make my broth sweet, so I just like putting the hoisin sauce in a little side dish to dip my meat or veggies in. As for the curry flavor, sorry, not a fan.

Last night for dinner, I ordered the #10 rare steak, brisket and tendon... before and after... and yes, I like it REAL spicy!



Wow... I'm drooling just looking at it...

No comments:

Post a Comment